Salad recipes are perfect for summer cookouts and easy family dinners and are some of the best ways to use the season’s delicious fruits and veggies. Check out this delicious Roast Spiced Sweet Potato & Lamb Salad with a Lemon And Mixed Seed Dressing recipe from Paula Mee.
400g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
4 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp coriander seeds, coarsely crushed
2 heaped tsp harissa powder
400g lamb loin, trimmed of all fat
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 large carrot, grated
1 yellow pepper, deseeded and cut into thin strips
1 celery stick, peeled and thinly sliced
250g cherry tomatoes
1 bag of mixed salad leaves
A handful of sultanas
For the dressing:
Salad dressings don’t have to be tricky to make. Quick home-made dressings are fresher and additive free. Classic Mediterranean ingredients include lemon juice, honey, white wine vinegar, and olive oil and are good with strong-flavoured leaf salads, such as rocket or kale or this sweet potato and lamb salad.
4 tbsp mixed seeds
2 tbsp clear honey
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
50ml extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place the sweet potato wedges in a bowl with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, the coriander seeds, and harissa. Toss well so that the potatoes are covered with the oil.
- Place on a baking tray and roast in the oven for about 25 minutes, until tender.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to a pan set over a medium heat.
- When the pan is hot, add the lamb to the pan and brown on all sides.
- Transfer to a baking sheet, then finish in the oven until it’s cooked to your liking — about 8 minutes for medium and approximately 15 minutes for well done.
- When cooked, remove from the oven and allow to rest for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make the dressing, toast the seeds in a hot dry pan, then roughly crush them in a pestle and mortar.
- Whisk the honey, vinegar, lemon juice and some salt and pepper together, then slowly whisk in the olive oil.
- Stir in the seeds.
- When the sweet potatoes are cooked, place all the other ingredients in a large bowl and dress with a little of the dressing.
- Place some salad in each bowl and top with the sweet potato. Slice the lamb and place over the dressed salad.
For more delicious recipes, check out Paula Mee’s Meditteranean Mood Food Cook Book in stores now.