With Christmas swiftly approaching, many of you may be facing the great responsibility of hosting Christmas Dinner this year. With the huge increase in plant-based eating and veganism many of you may be wracking your heads trying to come up with suitable alternatives for loved ones that are vegan, gluten-free and just as tasty (if not more) than the traditional Christmas Dinner.
Well, fear no more because we present to you Cranberry Nut Roast with Vegan Gravy to be served with potatoes, vegetables and piping hot vegan gravy.
This delicious recipe shared by Holly White, a plant based nutritionist and Frontier Foods brand ambassador, is not only vegan and gluten free, it is also suitable for preparation in advance of the gathering. What’s not to love?
Cranberry Nut Roast with Vegan Gravy
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots
- 100g mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons of Tomato puree
- 2 garlic cloves
- 200g dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons of sage leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 4 tablespoons milled chia seeds mixed with 12 tablespoons of water
- 150g almonds
- 150g Brazil nuts
- 100g buckwheat or GF flour
- 1 tablespoon of Tamari
- 1 tablespoon of miso paste
- Salt and pepper
- Frontier Foods Coconut Oil for frying.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Mix the chia seeds with water in a bowl and set aside to come together to a thick consistency for a few minutes.
- Fry the onion and garlic in a pan before adding the carrots and mushrooms.
- Add in the rest of the herbs, cranberries and tomato paste as well as the miso and Tamari.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool while you prepare your nuts by pulsing them in a food processor until they’re broken down into small pieces – but maintaining texture.
- Add in your cooled veg mix and flour to the processor and pulse together.
- Season well and pour into a lined loaf tin. Ensure that it’s pressed down so there are no gaps – this is important to hold it together after slicing.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Allow it to set in the tin for 15 minutes before removing and slicing to serve.