The Happy Pear – David and Stephen Flynn – have released a brand new book entitled “Recipes for Happiness” and it does exactly what it says on the cover! Jam-packed with recipes to make you happier, the book has quick and easy veggie options, clever meat-free versions of popular favourites and inspiring advice on how to be healthier! Without Further ado, here is the recipe for their healthy waffles!
Makes 4-5 waffles
This is a great recipe that works perfectly for pancakes too. Dave uses this recipe most weekends to make either pancakes or waffles for his daughters – the same batter works great for both. To make waffles, you will need a waffle iron or waffle maker, but don’t let that put you off – we got ours for €20 online and it’s a great toy! We like to serve our waffles/pancakes with coconut yoghurt, homemade chocolate spread and berries, with a drizzle of maple syrup – just delish!
- 250g buckwheat flour / other flour of choice
- 2tsp baking powder (1½ tsp if using white flour)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ banana or 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 3 tbsp almond butter
- 400ml rice milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- First step, turn on the waffle iron.
- To make the batter, whiz all the ingredients together in a blender until smooth.
- Once the waffle iron is hot, spray it with vegetable oil to prevent the waffles from sticking. Pour in the batter, ensuring that you have added enough to cover the full iron, and leaving a bit of room for the waffles to rise slightly.
- Cook in the waffle iron until they turn nice and brown.
- Remove and add toppings of your choice.
If you try this out at home, be sure to #GALWAYnow in your mouthwatering recreations!