Get into the spirit of St. Patrick’s Day with this delicious fruity recipe. A few ingredients and 5 minutes are all you need for this minty green Shamrock Shake inspired smoothie.
- 1 very ripe banana, previously peeled and frozen
- 1 container (6 ounces) non-fat Greek yogurt*
- ½ cup milk**
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (you may want to omit if you use vanilla flavored yogurt)
- ⅛ teaspoon peppermint extract***
- 1 handful of spinach
- 1 tablespoon chopped chocolate (optional)
- Add all of the ingredients to the blender and blend until thick, creamy, and smooth (approximately 3 minutes). Scrape down sides of blender as needed.
- Taste smoothie and add more peppermint extract if necessary. If the smoothie is too thick for you, add some more milk. Smoothie is best served immediately, but will stay good in the refrigerator, covered, for one day.
Use any milk you like: cow’s (skim, 1%, or 2%), almond, soy, coconut.
Start with ⅛ teaspoon peppermint extract and add more as necessary. This extract is very potent, and you don’t want your smoothie to end up tasting like toothpaste. Try not to exceed ¼ teaspoon.
If you prefer to omit spinach, you can leave the smoothie white, add a couple drops of green food coloring, or omit peppermint extract and use a few fresh mint leaves.