BAKED SHAKSHUKA WITH BUTTER BEANS
Words by Bettina Campolucci Bordi, Author of ‘Happy Food’ a collection of easy and delicious plant-based recipes that anyone can incorporate into their busy life.
“I love this dish! So simple, satisfying and easy to make. The eggy version of shakshuka has taken over cafes worldwide. This version is still as substantial and has a spicy, smoky edge to it that I love.”
80ml olive oil
1/2 red onion, chopped
1/2 red pepper, chopped
1/2 aubergine, chopped
1 x 400g tin of tomatoes
230g tinned butter beans, drained
4 sundried tomatoes, chopped
1/2 tsp sweet paprika
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Pink Himalayan salt and black pepper, to taste
A handful of chopped parsley
Good quality shop-bought bread
Drizzle of pesto
Dollops of plant yoghurt
A few cherry tomatoes, to garnish (optional)
A few endive leaves, to garnish (optional)
- In a medium pan, heat the oil and fry the onion, pepper, and aubergine with a tiny pinch of salt for 10–15 minutes. It is important you use a good amount of oil here to get it going and to make sure that the veggies soften properly.
- Then add the tomatoes, beans, sundried tomatoes, and all the spices and seasoning, give it a good stir and leave on a medium heat, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Check on the mixture when the time is up, give it a stir and leave for another 10 minutes.
- By now the shakshuka should be done, the liquid should have mostly cooked off and turned sticky and there should be a smoky gorgeous mixture in your pan.
- Serve immediately from the pan with a good sprinkle of chopped parsley, avocado slices, home-made bread for dipping and if you have some pumpkin seed pesto, get that in too, along with some plant yogurt and lemon wedges to squeeze over.
Top Tip; “This is such a comforting dish that can also be made in bigger quantities and reheated. It’s a weekend brunch kind of meal, but also super when you’re coming home from work and are in need of something substantial. I sometimes add some sliced avocado to mine, for extra creaminess, which I’m sure will come as no surprise!”