These chocolate and hazelnut brownies by Sarah Butler are deliciously moreish and super easy to make. Serve warm or cold with ice cream and whipped cream for a real treat dessert! Makes 16.
175 g butter cubed
175 g dark chocolate
25 g cocoa powder
225 g light brown sugar or caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
100 g self-raising flour sieved
75 g chopped hazelnuts
75 g chocolate chips
2 tbsp icing sugar to decorate
- Preheat oven 200C/180C fan/gas 6
- Place 175 g butter, 175 g dark chocolate and 25 g cocoa powder in a large bowl and melt over a saucepan of simmering water until all is melted.
- Beat 3 eggs, 225 g light brown sugar or caster sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract until pale and fluffy for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chocolate mixture once cooled to the egg and sugar mixture and combine. 5. Fold in 100 g of self-raising flour carefully with a large spoon until all is well combined.
- Add 75 g chopped hazelnuts and 75 g chocolate chips and combine.
- Line a 20cm square tin with baking paper and pour the mixture in, and place in a preheated oven 200C/180C fan/gas 6 for 19-20 minutes.
- Once edges begin to become crispy, remove from the oven and remove baking paper. You want the brownies soft in the middle, otherwise, it will just be a chocolate cake.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares.
- Decorate with icing sugar.
Recipe from Sarah Butler’s cookbook Sarah Butler Home Cooking, available on her website sarahbutler.com @sarahbutlerathomeofficial