The hidden Galway gem we discovered and featured in our Spring print issue this month is Galmere Foods. Founded over 30 years ago in a Galway city restaurant, Galmere Foods has now mushroomed to a team of over 70, nestled in the Ballybrit Industrial Estate with their products available on the shelves of every major Irish supermarket – Tesco, Aldi, Lidl, Centra, Supervalu, Dunnes and Spar. Galmere works closely with Irish farmers to harvest fresh and seasonal vegetables for their ranges and hit green gold when they started growing their own basil in a vertical digital farm last year. All that fresh goodness is poured lovingly into Pestle + Mortar Fresh Green Basil Pesto. Growing basil in this way ensures there is no need for pesticides, the carbon footprint is low, and people are guaranteed the freshest pesto in Ireland! Here is a gorgeous recipe with Galmere using their delicious Pestle + Mortar sauce.
Tantalising Tuscan Style Sea Bass with Pesto Panzanella
2 seabass fillets (pin boned) one per person
125g baby tomatoes halved
100g crusty bread cut into small cubes
15g black olives (approx 6)
1/2 tub of fresh green pesto 70g (reserve 1tsp of
pesto for garnish)
1/2 tbsp rapeseed oil for frying the fish
Squeeze of fresh lemon juice and sprinkling of
ground black pepper
Garnish: Fresh herbs preferably basil, pepper,
lemon wedges drizzle of pesto.
- Drizzle some rapeseed oil and a sprinkle of black pepper over the halved baby tomatoes then place on
a baking sheet in a 180° preheated oven. Cook for about 15-20 mins until they are soft and then remove.
- Place the cubed bread on a baking sheet and cook for about 5 minutes, until they are golden and crispy but still soft in the centre, remove from the oven and set aside.
- Put the bread and pesto in a bowl and mix until the bread is coated.
- Add some rapeseed oil to a preheated pan on medium and place the seabass fillets skin side down. Add them one by one, holding them flat with a spatula to prevent them curling. Cook for 3 to 4 mins each side and remove from the heat.
- Add the tomatoes and olives to the bread and pesto, mixing gently.
This recipes was created, styled and photographed for Galmere by Jennifer Oppermann @jennifercooks
Pestle + Mortar Sauces from Galmere are available in leading retailers across Ireland such as Tesco, Aldi, Lidl, Centra, Supervalu, Dunnes, and Spar.