The PoppySeed cookbook, Season by Season, takes us through the year one season at a time. PoppySeed Cafés, located in Clarinbridge and Oranmore, are dynamic cafés designed and operated by four women bound as family and friends, through work and food. To find out how to recreate their delicious minestrone soup, just keep on reading!
What you’ll need…
- 2 medium carrots, peeled
- 1 onion, peeled
- 2 celery sticks
- 1 leek
- 1 large potato, peeled
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 25ml extra virgin olive oil
- 200g spaghetti/noodles
- 50g tomato puree
For the passata:
- 3 fresh basil leaves
- 1 tsp fresh oregano
- 1 litre vegetable/chicken stock
- 50g grated parmesan cheese
- Dice each of the vegetables (carrots, onion, celery, leek and potato) into even cubes. Place a medium sized saucepan onto a medium heat and add the olive oil, diced vegetables and garlic. Sweat gently for 7-10 minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Add the fresh herbs and allow to infuse for 2-3 minutes to extract all the flavours.
- Mix in the tomato puree, passata and your chosen stock. Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer and add the spaghetti/noodles. Leave on medium heat for a further 20 minutes.
- Serve with a sprinkle of grated parmesan cheese.
TOP TIP: Sweat the vegetables until soft to bring out the fullest flavour!
If you try this out at home, be sure to #GALWAYnow in your mouthwatering recreations!