The PoppySeed cookbook, Season by Season, takes us through the year one season at a time. PoppySeed Cafés, located in Clarinbridge and Oranmore, are dynamic cafés designed and operated by four women bound as family and friends, through work and food. To find out how to recreate their delicious courgette and sweet potato crostini with green chilli salsa, just keep on reading!
What you’ll need for the crostini…
- 1 courgette
- 1 small sweet potato
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- salt and pepper
- 1tbsp rice flour / gluten free flour
- Wash and dry the courgette and remove the ends. Peel and grate the sweet potato and courgette and mix together with the spices and seasoning.
- Beat the eggs and pour into the mix. Sieve the flour into the mix and combine to make a pastry-like texture.
- Pop the pan onto a moderate heat and add a small amount of oil to warm.
- Gently drop a tablespoon of the mix into the pan and flatten out with the back of a spoon. Fry gently on each side for 30-40 seconds. Remove to a baking tray and place in an oven at 180C for 8-10 minutes.
What you’ll need for the salsa…
- 3 green chillis
- 1tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 1 green apple
- ½ cucumber
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Roughly chop the chilli, coriander, apple and cucumber and blitz in a blender.
- Pour the chunky mixture into a bowl and add the lime zest and juice.
- Whisk in the olive oil and season to taste before placing in the refrigerator.
- Serve the crostini warm with the chilli salsa on the side.
Top Tip – Both the crostini and salsa can be made ahead of time. After you fry off the crostini, leave to cool on a plate before wrapping in cling film.