Should we snack? If so, what are healthy choices that will protect us from unwanted weight gain? We asked nutritionist Sorcha Molloy from Glenville Nutrition Clinic and, according to scientific research, snacking can be a great way to boost your daily nutrient intake and keep your blood glucose levels stable! So, if you are looking for some healthy snack alternatives – along with some easy recipes – just keep on reading.
Here are some smart snacks to protect you from unwanted weight gain…
- An apple with almonds
- Raw celery, carrot or broccoli with hummus or nut butter
- 5oz pot of organic plain live yogurt with seeds or fresh fruit
- Fresh fruit with 1/2 tbsp pumpkin or sunflower seeds
- 1/2 an avocado eaten with a teaspoon
- Crudites (chopped raw vegetables) with a tofu or tahini dip
- 1 oatcake spread with mackerel pate, sunflower seed spread, nut butter, tahini or hummus
- Handful of nuts and raisins. Make sure that you have more nuts than raisins
- Handful of nuts and seeds
Tofu Dip Recipe:
Blend together 75g tofu, 1/2 ripe avocado, 1/2 clove garlic (peeled and crushed), 2 trimmed and finely chopped spring onions, 2 tbsp chopped parsley, 1 tsp of tamari sauce, 75ml soya sauce, oat milk or rice milk (to achieve the desired consistency) and black pepper to taste.
Smoked Seeds Recipe:
Put equal quantities of pumpkin, sunflower, pine kernels, linseeds and sesame seeds in a bowl. Coat with smoked paprika (optional) and tamari (wheat-free soya sauce), spread on to a baking tray and toast them lightly in a medium oven until lightly brown. Allow to cool, then store in an airtight container.