Designed by Ciaran Slattery senior sous-chef and Jack Revell sous-chef the team at AJLA Restaurant have brought you the perfect winter dinner party menu to impress your guests this festive season. For the full menu, pick up our latest issue of GALWAYnow magazine on shelves now.
The Main Event: Sea Bass with Ratatouille and Tomato Sauce
Peppers – 1 of each colour
1 Aubergine diced
1 Courgette diced
2 Red Onions diced
Half Bunch of Thyme – finely chopped
3 Cloves of Garlic – crushed
6 Shallots – sliced
4 Cloves of Garlic – crushed
Half Bunch of Thyme – chopped
1tsp Tomato Paste
200ml White Wine
2 Tins of Tomatoes
10 Basil Leaves – chopped
Sugar – to taste
2 Fillets of Seabass
1. Dice up the vegetables, add the thyme, salt, pepper and garlic and roast in the oven at 180C for 15 minutes, until al dente.
2. Take the vegetables out of oven and put to one side.
1. Place a saucepan on to a medium high heat, add cooking oil, the shallots, garlic and thyme and cook until golden brown.
2. Add the tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes,
3. Add the white wine and allow to cook and reduce by 3/4,
4. Add the tinned tomatoes and cook to reduce by 1/2.
5. Season to taste with salt, pepper and sugar.
6. Finish with the chopped basil and oregano.
7. Mix with the cooled vegetables to finish the ratatouille.
1. Trim up the belly and tail until you get just the flesh.
2. Wash and dry the fish.
3. Lightly salt the belly of the fish, brush the skin with butter and place skin side down in a medium to hot pan.
4. Hold fish down so it does not curl up, turn down the heat to medium and flip the fish over when the skin is golden brown.
5. Cook for 2 minutes after turning, until cooked.
TO PLATE UP
1. Heat the ratatouille in a pan and place on a plate.
2. Add fish to top and serve.
AJLA Restaurant, (a sister of the Poppyseed café business) is led by a team of four ladies who give the restaurant its name, Anne, Judy, Lisa and Ali. Located in Clarinbridge, the restaurant is run by an exceptional team who work tirelessly to ensure the guest experience is welcoming, the food delicious and the space elegant. With menus focused on local produce treated with respect, the offering is interesting, fresh and bursting with flavour. Service is relaxed and classical so a night out is truly a memorable experience. An extensive wine list and speciality cocktails ensures AJLA has something to offer all tastes and palates. Their private dining space, the oyster room is also available for small groups and celebrations and bespoke menus can be created for each event.