In a world that glorifies youth and anti-ageing, society seems to struggle with us showing signs of ageing as if it were something we should feel ashamed of or fear. Many people dread getting older and often subscribe to lying about their age. They fear losing their looks, mobility and mental capacity as if it’s all downhill after a certain stage of life. But what if thinking differently about ageing helped you to look and feel younger?
Your mind is your most powerful aid in influencing how you age. You can harness that power to change how you think in a way that will transform your perception of advancing in life. Wayne Dyer said, “When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” When you apply this idea to ageing and look for all its favourable attributes, it can change your life. What you say to yourself and what you think about yourself is what matters most. Our thoughts do create our reality and are intricately connected to our bodies.
If you think and act old, you may grow old prematurely. On the other hand, thinking and acting young can delay the ageing process. We must consistently find a new way of communicating with ourselves because we have been conditioned to believe that old age is unavoidable. It could be said that the body you have today is a reflection of the thoughts you have about ageing when you were younger and the body you will have in the future will be the result of the thoughts about ageing that you are thinking now. With that in mind, let’s focus on cultivating a mindset that’s rich in youth-inducing ideas about ageing and our future selves.
Here are a few thoughts to help with feeling younger as you age:
- I have a phenomenal memory, and if I forget something, it has nothing to do with my age.
- I can look stylish at any age. I choose what to wear.
- My brain loves learning, and I love doing new things.
- My mind is mentally sharp and ageless.
- I retain information easily and can recall it fast.
- My body feels young. I am remaining young, healthy and vibrant.
- I am capable of achieving my goals no matter my age.
- I love mixing with people of all ages.
- I maintain a youthful appearance because I cultivate an inner beauty that radiates from me.
- I believe that it’s never too late to start something new.
When you repeatedly tell yourself such suggestions, you are developing neural pathways in your brain and sending powerful messages to your subconscious mind that will cause you to feel younger. Enjoy the process and see yourself looking and feeling younger, whatever your age.
Read the full article in the Winter Issue of GALWAYnow, on shelves now.
Pauline Rodhich is the creator of Just Pause, a transformational business with a mission to remind each person that they have the power to change their life and cultivate unconditional happiness. She is an advanced RTT Clinical Hypnotherapist, Life Coach, Happiness Trainer, Yoga & Meditation Teacher, and NLP Practitioner.