National Dog Day celebrates all breeds, mixed and pure and helps to raise awareness to the number of dogs that need to be rescued each year, either from public shelters, rescues and pure breed rescues.
This celebratory canine day honors family dogs and dogs that work selflessly to save lives, keep us safe and bring comfort. Dogs put their lives on the line every day – protecting our families and homes, for their blind companion, for the disabled, for our freedom and safety by detecting bombs and drugs and helping to locate and rescue victims of accidents and tragedy.
Celebrating National Dog Day can be as easy as giving your four-legged friend a big hug and kiss (if they like that sort of affection)! But for those who want to take their love and appreciation to another level, we have a list of 5 different ways for you to celebrate!
- Donate blankets, food and toys to animal welfare organisations such as Galway based Dog Rescue and Adoption Shelter Madra.
- Help an elderly or ill neighbour out by walking their dog
- Take your dog out for some fun exercise, to the park with a ball or the beach (if this is permitted).
- Why not have a portrait or sketch taken of your dog – see Emma Loughlin Illustrations
- Give your dog a massage or a holistic treatment. We all need a little TLC every now and then!